The Musings of an MA Mamma

Because the world is such an interesting place.

Revenge of the Synth – the electric music generation

January30

Wandering around the corridors of the Media, Humanities and Technology building at the University of Lincoln, I come across some fascinating and hugely talented people lurking in offices and studying hard. One such individual I came across this week was Craig Bratley, – by day, he supports students and staff in the School of Media. By night, Craig runs the music label Magic Feet and is world renowned for his underground house music remixes and live DJ gigs.

Being a child growing up in the eighties (and during my time as a nightclub manager in the noughties), I became interested in electric music. I recently rediscovered a haul of old cassettes and CD’s from the likes of The Chemical Brothers, Massive Attack, The Prodigy and Faithless I had completely forgotten about. Reliving and immersing myself in the synth-pop sound and the electric beats, I was truly excited by the prospect of talking to someone who works in the same building who shares a passion for the underground, unconventional music genre.

Despite holding down his job at the University, Craig, who comes from Manchester originally, has attained an industry wide reputation as a DJ, producer and remixer who gigs all over the world. He has a clutch of releases published (from labels such as Foto, Is It Balearics and Instruments of Rapture) and last year played on the Beats Hotel stage at Glastonbury in front of 2000 people – an experience he described to me as “terrifying”. This year, he has gigs planned around the UK and Ireland.

I asked Craig how he got into electric music and subsequent DJing and he told me it all started by reading Future Music magazine as a boy and dreaming of making music. Once he got into the nightclub scene in his teenage years, his interest developed and he started making music. In 2012, he started his now industry renowned label, Magic Feet, and also remixes for Heavenly Records and Above Machine (to name two of the many labels he works with).

Producing and remixing music from his home studio, Craig has recently released his own debut LP called Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride on TuBa Records.

by posted under Arts Muse | No Comments »    

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

GALLERY